UPDATE: The RMT Union and the TSSA Union have called off the planned rail strikes this bank holiday weekend that would have caused disruption to travel for both Crystal Palace and Dundee supporters on Tuesday night.
Poor ticket sales could be affected even further for Julian Speroni’s Testimonial on Tuesday at Selhurst Park, as rail strikes by National Rail workers are due to affect the entire UK.
In the first strike of its kind in 20 years, the industrial action is due to commence on bank holiday Monday from 17:00 BST and last for 24 hours, with some train companies yesterday announcing what type of service, if any, that they will provide during the strike action, including that of services on Tuesday.
The full extent of the travel disruption will not be known until Saturday when a full timetable is expected to be published by train companies up and down the United Kingdom. At this moment in time, Southern, one of the main train companies in London and the South will not be running any service on Tuesday as well as London Overground who serve Norwood Junction.
It is Dundee’s fans that will come the worse off on Tuesday though, with Scottish services affected as well as those into and out of the country, a service that is usually provided by Virgin Trains who have announced that no services will be running on either Monday or Tuesday. This decision by the company is forcing Dundee fans who want to see Speroni’s testimonial to go to extraordinary lengths, including looking at flights into and out of London as well as coaches which could see them travel for at least 11 hours.
Speaking to the Dundee Evening Telegraph, Kenny Ross, the chairman of the Dundee Supporters Association, said that many fans are looking into different methods of travel to the game but admitted a large percentage of those who have bought tickets, will not be able to make the game on Tuesday.
“I have had to book a flight myself to be safe,” he said.
“As far as Dundee fans are concerned, we have sold around 1300 tickets and at least 50% of them would be going by train, which is a terrific effort but there may be a large percentage of people who won’t be able to make it down now. It would be a real shame if we couldn’t get all the fans who have bought tickets to the match.”
News of the extent of the travel disruption comes just days after Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish urged fans to buy tickets for Speroni’s testimonial after disappointing sales so far, in the build-up to the game that has seen a number of events take place including an Evening with Julian Speroni at Fairfield Halls in January.
“It is a fantastic achievement by Jules and I’m a little bit disappointed with the ticket sales for his testimonial,” Parish said to the South London Press.
“Everybody loves him. He is the four-time Player of the Year and this is an opportunity to show how much he means to us.
“It’s going to be a great night – I don’t think it would kill a few people to get off their backside and show their support.
“We as a club are giving everything we can to the testimonial, all we want is people to support him.
“The fans all say how much they love him…then buy a ticket.”
Talks are still ongoing between the unions involved in the dispute with National Rail who will be working until the end of the weekend to find a way through and call off the strikes that will affect thousands over the bank holiday weekend and into the working week.
How are you getting to the game on Tuesday? Are you going by car or public transport? Let us know by commenting below or contacting us.





